Introduction to License Plate Recognition
Recognition or LPR is a technology solution that takes photographs of license
plates and converts these images to text.
License plate Recognition (LPR) is useful in the following purposes:
- Help police scan and identify thousands of plates an hour just by driving
- Allow border crossing to determine if a car is suspicious
- Parking garages can automatically open just by recognizing the tenant’s plates.
- Parking Service companies can better manage their parking systems
Imagine a sad scenario that happens all too often. A child is kidnapped and witnesses have a brief description and a partial license plate of the kidnapper.
The kidnapper unknowingly is trying to get away, and as he drives onto the freeway a camera monitoring the road snaps a picture of his car and the plate. It then converts the picture of the License Plate into numbers and letters. Within a matter of milliseconds, this license plate is checked against a criminal database (such as AMBER ALERTS in the USA).
In milliseconds, the police are electronically updated with the last known location.
- License plate Recognition (LPR) technology is a powerful that can rapidly help solve problems.
We invite you to read more about how LPR works